Monday, March 10, 2008

Barack takes a hit with Samantha Power's Resignation

Let me start by saying that I realize this might be "old" news to some, but it's relevant to the campaign. Thus, I am choosing to write about it.

Barack's foreign policy advisor, Samantha Power, handed in her resignation on March 6. This resignation was spurred by a comment she made to a reporter of a Scottish newspaper calling Hillary Clinton "a monster". While I admit that this behavior was unprofessional, she did not have to resign. Nevertheless, it was the honorable thing to do.

Let's put the shoe on the other foot for a moment. I also acknowledge that Senator Clinton has made some negative remarks about Barack. However, here's how I feel about her remarks:

1) They were based on, at minimum, perceived truth.

2) I do not recall Hillary doing any blatant name calling.

3) Although it might have been a mistake, it was Hillary who made the comments and not one of her aids.

So, yes, Samantha Power might have been able to stay on Barack's team. However, both that comment as well as the fact that Barack let her stay would have reflected badly on him. As it stands, the comment reflects badly on him, but at least he avoided a big scandal by allowing her to resign.

The next question is: How will this effect Barack's campaign? Only time will tell. However, I don't think it's going to have a major impact. This is unfortunate since I am obviously a fan of Senator Clinton.

Related articles:

Rubin Blames Obama for Power's Remarks

Obama Adviser Brzezinski: Power Shouldn't Have Resigned

0 Write a comment!: