Monday, June 16, 2008

Mark Warner says no to second seating with Barack Obama

Over the weekend, former VA governor Mark Warner made it clear that he'd rather be a U.S. senator than a vice president under Barack Obama. Mark Warner's campaign released its first advertisement indicating, in essence, that he cleaned up VA and now it's time to clean up Washington DC.

Watch the ad


To me, Mark is sending a message that he wants to restore checks and balances to the U.S. Senate and not be Barack Obama's puppet. Does Mark Warner entirely dislike Barack Obama? I'm honestly not sure. I had a hard time finding information that either confirms or denies that notion. Nevertheless, Mark Warner is well liked by many Republicans as well as Democrats. I believe that he will support legislation to balance the U.S. budget sooner rather than later and that he will help restore the system of checks and balances that is currently sorely missing in Congress today.

I voted for Mark Warner when he ran for Governor of VA in 2001. I won't deny that he made some decisions that were less than brilliant. However, I was quite impressed with him overall. Thus, he definitely has my vote for senator.

2 Write a comment!:

Anonymous said...

Mark Warner has to say he's only interested in being Senator in order to raise campaign funds. But he's be crazy to turn down an offer from Obama: he'd make history, and have an excellent chance of going on to become president. Obama and Warner compliment each other just as Clinton and Gore did. Put Virginia in the Obama's column next fall and that should deliver the election. And Warner is more popular--and more successful--then either Kaine or Webb. And he's much better on the stump.

Fractalman237 said...

There's a small chance you could be right, but here is Mark's own words from the article that I linked:

"I have not sought and I will not accept any other opportunity," Warner told cheering convention delegates.

Since I am not in his inner circle, I cannot say for sure that Mark doesn't endorse Obama. However, that is my impression. Call it a gut feeling.