Friday, April 4, 2008

Barack gives The View more lip service regarding Reverend Wright

Last week, Barack made an appearance on The View saying "Had the reverend [Jeremiah Wright] not retired, and had he not acknowledged that what he had said had deeply offended people and were inappropriate and mischaracterized what I believe is the greatness of this country, for all its flaws, then I wouldn’t have felt comfortable staying at the church." In my view, this is Barack diplomatically stating that he might very well have stayed at the church regardless of whether or not Reverend Wright retired or admitted that his negative sermons were inappropriate.

Barack also continues to defend Reverend Wright's negative, anti-Semitic, anti-American sermons by saying, "[Reverend Wright is] a brilliant man who was still caught in a time warp back in the ’60s, early ’70s and the ’50s, where he grew up, and had a sense of where America was and didn’t have a good enough sense of how it had changed." I acknowledge that African Americans should never have been slaves and that some felt as if society might have held them down. However, I grew up in the 70's. I lived in a neighborhood that was at least 50% African American. Although my parents had some prejudice feelings, I looked at them the same way I looked at anyone else. I had African American friends at school and regularly played among them in my neighborhood. That said, I certainly don't condone ignorance or prejudice regardless of race. Thus, I find Reverend Wright's remarks offensive and Barack's defending of these remarks as quite disturbing.

Is there a problem with racism in America? Sure. I think that Reverend Wright is proof of that. There are many Caucasians guilty of this as well. Nevertheless, I do not think that Barack Obama should be handed the nomination on a silver platter just to prove that Americans are no longer racist. Furthermore, I don't think that handing Barack the nomination on a silver platter proves anything except, perhaps, that Americans aren't ready for a female president.

0 Write a comment!: